Having a beautiful, neat, and spotless house is an ideal goal that many homeowners want. After all, who does not love coming home to a clean and orderly space?
Unfortunately, behind the seemingly clean facade of many homes and businesses can lie deadly mould spores. While mould is often visible, it can also be hidden in places that are difficult to see or reach. When inhaled, mould spores can cause various health problems, including respiratory infections, allergic reactions, and cancer.
Although it is prudent that you call for professionals when you find telltale signs of mould infestation, it is also wise to know the mechanics of removing the said fungus. After all, the earlier you catch the problem, the easier it is to nip it in the bud. This article will focus on removing mould from the gyprock ceiling.
How Mould Can Grow on Your Ceiling
Mould can be a real problem in the home, mainly if it needs to be dealt with quickly and effectively. One of the main reasons why mould can spread so quickly is due to high humidity levels and poor ventilation. It can create the perfect environment for mould to thrive, particularly on gyprock ceilings and walls.
If you have a mould problem, it is essential to act fast. The sooner you can address the issue, the better. Below are some tricks to get rid of mould in your home:
- Increase ventilation. It is one of the most effective ways to prevent the fungus from spreading. Make sure you open doors and windows regularly to allow fresh air to circulate. If you have an extractor fan in your kitchen or bathroom, make sure you use it when cooking or showering.
- Reduce humidity levels. If your home is too humid, it can create the perfect environment for mould growth. You can help reduce humidity levels by using a dehumidifier or opening doors and windows regularly to ventilate your home.
- Clean affected areas. Once you have identified where the mould is growing, you need to clean it. Use a mould removal product and scrub the affected area. Make sure you dry the area thoroughly afterwards.
- Repair any leaks. If leaks are in your home, it is critical to repair them as soon as possible. Leaks can cause water to build up, leading to mould growth.
- Monitor humidity levels. You can buy a hygrometer to help you monitor humidity levels in your home. Aim to keep levels below 60% to help prevent mould growth.
Home Remedies to Remove Mould
Gyprock ceilings are a popular choice for many homeowners because they are durable and easy to maintain. However, over time, they can become stained and even develop mould. Below are some tips on how to keep your gypsum ceiling clean and mould-free:
- Begin by mixing equal parts water and vinegar in a bowl.
- Soak a clean cloth in the mixture and wring it out so that it is damp, not dripping wet.
- Rub the cloth over the mouldy areas of the ceiling, concentrating on any visible patches of mould.
- Let the mixture sit on the mould for at least 15 minutes to allow the vinegar to work its magic.
- Once the time is up, use a clean, damp cloth to remove the mould.
- Finally, use a dry cloth to buff the area dry.
Mould can cause several health problems, so getting rid of it as soon as possible is vital. You can get rid of mould, but if the problem is severe, you may need to call in a professional. Either way, getting rid of mould will help improve your health and the quality of your home.
If the mould problem is severe, you should ask for help from We Plaster & Recruit. We will replace your gyprock ceiling so you will not have to deal with the fungus infection. So, contact us now for a quote!